An Independent Study focusing on Wesley's Sermons

This blog is a collaborative effort by a group of students at Princeton Theological Seminary as part of an Independent Study on John Wesley. The students (Deidre Porter, Logan Hoffman, and Clint Ussher) are being guided by Prof. Ross Wagner.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Week 2 (original title, eh?)

I enjoyed Wesley’s sermons this week more than those we read last week, but found myself struck by the emphasis, at least in the first three sermons, on the presentation of opposing dualities. The almost Christian stands in opposition to the altogether Christian, a person is either asleep or awake to God’s grace, and everyone must conquer inward sin and outward sin in order to attain perfection. Obviously, the most clearly examined of these dualities is found in Almost Christian, which I think is communicated very clearly and well. However, I wonder what is lost by assuming that there are two categories for existing as a Christian. Wesley’s understanding of an almost Christian is, at least in my mind, not far from what is happening in plenty of churches/Christians in my experience. Living correctly should be enough, they think. What else do I need? The love portion of life with God, the faith that makes grace real, these may be lost when appearing to live a certain way becomes the nexus of our experience. But even this almost Christian lifestyle is more than many people can give. What falls below an almost Christian? Would these people be deplorable to Wesley? And how damaging is it for people existing in this paradigm to hear that they are, in fact, almost Christians, in spite of their best efforts and intentions to serve God well? It may sound like I am disagreeing with Wesley, but really I am trying to parse out what it means to proclaim this message of ‘almost Christianity’ from the pulpit. Can parishioners handle this kind of news? Are people ready to hear that there is more required of them? Or rather, that there is a richer and deeper Christianity open to them? Ultimately, I resonate with Wesley’s distinctions between almost and altogether Christians. I find them to be honest, and fairly accurate in their portrayals of the types of faith you find in churches these days. I can’t help thinking about Kenda Creasy Dean’s book Almost Christian, which applies Wesley’s ideas to youth ministry and the faith lives of teenagers. What ‘almost Christianity’ proclaims to me is an indictment of church leaders, who are allowing people to live a story that says works are enough, or external faith is enough. If members of our church communities are living this way, and missing out on the love of God, the love of neighbor, and the confidence that our faith saves and redeems us, what are church leaders not doing that they should be doing? What are we not saying from the pulpit that allows this brand of Christianity to continue? Wesley’s proclamation is right on, as bold and aggressive as it seemed to me at first, because it forces all of us to consider where we stand in this duality. Am I only almost a Christian? Am I getting this right?

After reading this, I went back to my notes from both Maddox and Collins, and I think Collins reads Wesley particularly well on this sermon. Collins talks about the importance of the love of God for Wesley, not only as the source of holiness, but also as the source of justification. Wesley understood the dangers of holiness apart from the love of God, as this could lead to legalism, the loss of fellowship and community, all at the hands of self-preoccupation and narcissism (Collins, 9). This helps me understand what is at stake for Wesley, and for us, in this notion of ‘almost Christianity.’ It isn’t just that we are missing out on the chance for a more enriching or enlivened relationship with God. If we leave out the piece of faith that centers on the love of God, we aren’t just living a shallow version of Christianity; we are messing with our source of justification, according to Wesley. There is much at stake if we allow fellow Christians to live under the incorrect assumption that ‘almost Christianity’ is enough. I do, however, think there is a danger in telling people that you must do all of the things listed in Wesley’s sermon in order to be only ‘almost Christian.’ I agree with Wesley that it is terribly important to remind people that the center of faith, the most important piece of the puzzle, is the love of God. But, I think that should come before all of the examples of a pious or righteous life Wesley gives in Almost Christian. The love of God, the love of neighbor, and a faith that brings forth love, good works, and repentance should come before the lengthy list of examples of ‘almost Christianity.’ The love of God speaks louder than our attempts at righteous living.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Deeds,
    Great post! I really am enjoying your thoughts and engagement in this study... I agree with so much of what you have to say - and esp. want to affirm the need to take care when challenging people who may find themselves in the "almost" category. However, I couldn't help but ask myself, how else would we know?

    For example, if I am living an "almost" Christian faith and have been my whole life... after all, I DID grow up in the church, you know :) I wonder if I would hear a sermon focused on the love of God and love of neighbor, and a faith that brings forth such love, good works, and repentance and think to myself, "ya, that's true of me..." I wonder if the danger of the "almost" Christian is the deception that they live under - they deceive themselves into thinking that they are living out their faith in accord with the gospel and the double-love command. I wonder if the lengthy list & description that Wesley leaves us with functions in the sermon as building the tension - where I increasingly come face-to-face with the reality that this is true OF ME! I wonder if this might be Wesley's attempt to capture their attention and help people to assess their spiritual condition anew, by employing a whole new rubric.

    And, that is where the Gospel speaks loud and clear for me in this sermon. In that we are not left with the "almost" Christian faith, but Wesley reminds us that through grace we need not continue living this way anymore. The "altogether" faith is possible because of the grace of Christ.

    Just a thought... what do you think?

    ReplyDelete